Juice cleanses (also known as juice fasts or juice feasts, depending on who you ask) seem to be all the rage these days. Popping up everywhere from celebrity gossip rags to health food blogs, many raw foodists, foodies, and everyday people swear by them. I’ve read multiple claims that a diet consisting of fresh juice will cleanse everything – from your skin, to your palate, to your colon, to your soul. While I’ve never been one for fad diets, this idea of a juice cleanse has intrigued me for months. A combination of my desire to hit the reset button on my eating patterns along with my absolute love of juice lead me to hop on this shiny new bandwagon for a little ride.
It lasted all of 6 hours.
Till I fell off.
And ate an entire container of hummus.
With a spoon.
So, be it! I will never be the kind of girl who can survive on juiced vegetables and supplements for weeks on end. Or even for a day. Still, those short few hours reminded me that I definitely am the kind of girl who likes to experiment with food. Finding myself in a slight cooking rut shortly after my return, I saw juicing as this fantastic opportunity to try new things. How many juice combinations could I make? So, so many. So many, that I decided to blog about it. Here, my friends, is a list of juicespirations. Oh, and a word of warning: beet juice tends to dye certain things red. Like your hands. Your clothes. Your juicer. And, well, your body waste – which can be frightening, but totally harmless. So drink it. A lot. Because it’s absolutely delicious. And so good for you. So, so good.
Tips: Wash all fruit and vegetables before juicing.
Peel when specified.
Drink immediately after juicing for best taste & maximum nutrients.
Transporting juice to work or school: Store juice in clean bottle with a crushed (chewable) vitamin C tablet to slow oxidation.
Do not juice: bananas, avocados, any pits & seeds.
Each recipe makes approximately 1 cup (250ml).
- Red Power: 3 medium beetroots, peeled. 1 medium apple. (Best when mixed with equal parts water once juice is extracted.)
- Invigorating Orange: 5 medium carrots, 3 slices pineapple, 1 tbsp ginger root
- Summer Breeze: 1/2 medium cucumber, peeled. 1/2 cup cubed honeydew.
- Fruitylexia: 6 large strawberries, greens removed. 2 kiwis, peeled. 2 apples.
- Island Escape: 2 mangoes. 1/2 cup cubed pineapple. 1 peach.
- Wake Up: 3 pears, 1 apple, 1 tbsp ginger root
- Apple Cobbler: 3 apples, 2 pears. Garnish with a cinnamon stick or a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Hidden Veg: 2 small carrots, 3 large romaine lettuce leaves, 2 mangoes
- Refresh: 1/2 cup cubed watermelon, 1/2 cup raspberries